Monday, November 07, 2005

Eau de New York

Went to NYC this weekend, which was warm and pungent. Sometimes I am a little jealous of New York. The subway system, though flawed, is superior to the T in some ways, like late nights and connections and frequent trains and express versions. The urban design of the whole city is also better (don't hate, Boston, it's just the truth) and makes people come out and be outside and having fun and being cool and I feel like the cool might rub off on me, just a little.
The whole city was chock-a-block with babies, too. We always joke about picking the best one and running away with it, which nice people probably find sick and unfunny. But it amuses us. We do the same with dogs. What's with all the dogs, New York? Where the hell do you keep them? in your 6th floor walk ups?
I don't think I could ever really have a dog. They need to go out in the snow to pee and so on. That's not really my style. Sorry, dogs. But I do find them cute and funny and I like watching them play insane dog games. That's another thing--my town does not have dog runs like New York has dog runs.
Boston does have some problems with tradition and unexamined regulations that I feel prevent the city from improving itself. It's really hard to change things here. I feel like a lot of people have a suburban attitude even in the middle of the city.

Of course, New York also has these events, which I long to attend, but haven't been able to swing it yet.

No comments: